Friday, November 12, 2010

Grandma’s Squash Pie

I found this recipe Here

new squash pie
* One small jar baby food squash (may substitute pumpkin)
* 3 T. flour
* 2 egg yolks
* 2/3 c. sugar
* dash of salt
* 1/8 t. cinnamon
* sprinkle of nutmeg
* sprinkle of allspice
* 1-1/2 c. milk (I use skim milk but of course, whole milk is richer)
* 2 egg whites




Whip egg whites until stiff and set aside.  Combine squash, flour, egg yolks, sugar, salt and spices.  Add milk to this mixture adjusting amount according to the size of pie pan you are using.  1 c. is plenty for an  8 inch pie but you may need more for larger pie pan.
Mix in egg whites carefully. Mixture should be completely blended  but no more.  (I use a hand mixer.) Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes.  Pie should be set and just slightly jiggly when done.  Allow to cool and refrigerate before serving.  If the layers are distinct when you slice it, you did it right!

No comments: